Mar 152017
 

Los Angeles Against The New Travel Ban

 

CITY OF LOS ANGELES JOINS AMICUS BRIEF AGAINST REVISED TRUMP TRAVEL BAN

 

City Attorney Mike Feuer announced the City of Los Angeles has joined a coalition of local municipalities opposed to President Trump’s revised Executive Order commonly known as the travel ban. The Cities of Chicago, New York and Los Angeles joined with jurisdictions across the nation in an amicus brief in State of Washington, et al. v. Donald J. Trump, et al. filed in U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington. Read the official filing.

“All the window dressing in the world won’t magically transform a travel ban that’s unconstitutional at its core into a lawful order,” said Feuer. “Los Angeles proudly stands with cities across the nation at this perilous time, when many of our nation’s most fundamental principles hang in the balance.”

“The travel ban targets people indiscriminately and is far out of step with the values of religious tolerance and equality that we believe in as Americans,” said Mayor Eric Garcetti. “Cities are coming together to lead this fight because we understand the urgency of working together to keep our country safe — and doing it in a way that honors our shared humanity, celebrates our diversity, and does not turn away from the ideals that define who we are.”

Prompted by reports that visa and green card holders were detained or denied entry at LAX, Feuer sought to intervene with federal officials at LAX the night of January 28. When Feuer’s efforts were rebuffed by these officials, Feuer sent this letter to top federal authorities seeking answers regarding the unlawful treatment of legal immigrants at LAX. When reports indicated LAX detainees suffered deplorable conditions -–for example, receiving little or no food or water for hours—Feuer submitted a Freedom of Information Act request to the federal government last month.

Feuer’s office joined an amicus brief in February opposing the original travel ban.

 

 

Comment?

Name
Email
Comment Title
Rating
Comment Content

 

 

Feb 042017
 

Travel Ban Lifted

George W. Bush’s appointee, U.S. District Senior Judge James Robart, issued an order lifting travel ban affecting travelers and refugees from seven mostly Muslim countries effective immediately. The Department of Homeland Security was legally-bound to comply and did. The travel ban is temporarily lifted. Muslim arrivals to the United States are welcomed once again.

In response to the ruling Lee Gelernt, the lawyer who argued for the stay against Trump’s ban in federal court in Brooklyn, N.Y. and succeeded, said on behalf of the American Civil Liberties Union:
“The decision in Washington reaffirms that the courts will stand up to the president.”
and:
“The courts have and will continue to recognize that this executive order favors Christians and disfavors Muslims and that is antithetical to American values and flatly inconsistent with the United States Constitution.”

President Trump – in a tweet no less! – said: “When a country is no longer able to say who can, and who cannot, come in & out, especially for reasons of safety &.security – big trouble!”

First and foremost the country didn’t say who can and who can’t enter: President Trump issued an arbitrary and contrary to the Constitution executive order. The country took to the streets and courts and prevailed. The Christians and the Jews, all decent human beings came to defend the Muslims….

In his usual low-blow style, President Trump sought to denigrate yet another respectable judge (this time, District Senior Judge James Robart who lifted the unconstitutional travel ban): “The opinion of this so-called judge, which essentially takes law-enforcement away from our country, is ridiculous and will be overturned!” The President is developing “diplomatic mastery”: in a single tweet he managed to offend former President George W. Bush AND U.S. District Senior Judge James Robart!

(Who was the other judge Trump attempted to tear-down? Indiana-born, U.S. District Judge Gonzalo Curiel whose judicial integrity – the then presidential candidate Trump claimed – would be compromised by his Mexican heritage if he were to rule in a lawsuit against Trump University… Obviously a guilty verdict would have meant that the judge is biased, not that the Trump University was a scam that defrauded consumers. Got it?)

“Incidental casualty” of the travel ban? Sally Yates United States Deputy Attorney General – with impeccable reputation! – who got fired by President Trump for refusing to defend the unconstitutional executive order on travel ban. The ruling of U.S. District Senior Judge James Robart further affirms Sally Yates professional integrity and commitment to upholding the rule of law in the United States.

Not surprisingly, the new federal government will challenge Judge James Robart’ decision. For now, America has won, but it isn’t over, yet. Stay tuned.

Anything L.A. Magazine’s Editor, E. Elrich

 

 

Comment?

Name
Email
Comment Title
Rating
Comment Content

 

 

Jan 312017
 
Los Angeles For Human Rights

Photo property of L.A. Mayor

L.A. Will Lead With Strength And Open Arms

“We are in a moment that we will look back on and ask ourselves what we did to stand up, speak out, and live up to our values.

That’s why I spent this morning at LAX meeting with Congress members Maxine Waters and Ted Lieu, U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials, our Airport Police, and immigration lawyers to discuss the impact that the President’s executive orders are having in our city.

I also met with loved ones of some of those who are being affected — to better understand how the City of Los Angeles can help people through a very difficult, confusing, and painful time. I wanted to assure them that L.A. will honor a uniquely American tradition by always standing as a place of refuge for people of every nationality and faith. When we spoke, I gave my word that I would press federal authorities to uphold commitments they had made to me — that detainees in L.A. would be treated in accordance with judicial rulings that have been handed down regarding the executive orders. I received word this afternoon that three detainees whose loved ones I met with today have been released and reunited with their friends and families.

While this situation continues for others, I have directed my team to do everything possible to connect people to the legal and other resources they may need to reach a resolution. We will also keep working with federal authorities to assist concerned families that may be having a difficult time communicating with — or getting basic information about — loved ones who may still be detained under the President’s order.

We must always protect our country and our people from harm, and should take every necessary measure to secure the homeland. But banning people based on religion or country of origin is not only un-American, it is dangerously counter to our national security. There are effective, rational, humane, and constitutional strategies to keep Americans safe — and that is what we expect the President to offer the American people.

As long as I am Mayor, L.A. will lead with strength, conviction, compassion, and open arms. We are making a difference, and will keep lifting people up — as long as we think less about who’s the most powerful, and devote our time and energy to helping the most vulnerable.”
Mayor Eric Garcetti

 

 

Comment?

Name
Email
Comment Title
Rating
Comment Content