Fresh on the heels of the successful CicLAvia – Culver City Meets Venice which took place on August 9th 2015, CicLAvia is getting ready for the next!
CicLAvia – Heart of LA is scheduled for October 16th 2016. It will feature its fifth-year anniversary route through the Heart of LA as Boyle Heights, Chinatown, DTLA, and Westlake will host the country’s largest open streets event! Streets will be closed to cars and open for cyclists, pedestrians, runners and skaters to use as a recreational space.
CicLAvia began as an idea with an uncertain outcome when it first removed cars from the streets of downtown Los Angeles on October 10, 2010. Now, five years, fourteen events and hundreds of thousands of participants later, CicLAvia is the largest open streets event in North America.
Heart of LA will have six miles for participants to explore by bike, foot, skateboard, wheelchair and other non-motorized traffic. The route will take people through Boyle Heights, the Arts District, Little Tokyo, Civic Center, Chinatown, Historic Core and as far west as MacArthur Park.
New to CicLAvia? Here are four things you need to know for October 16:
- It’s FREE!
- It’s not a race and you don’t need a bike to participate. You can walk or skate to your heart’s content.
- There’s no beginning or end. You can start anywhere and go as far or as short as you want.
- The flow of participants goes both ways, just like regular traffic.
For your safety:
- DON’T RUSH: CicLAvia is all about relaxation, not competition
- BE MINDFUL OF OTHERS: yes, there will be people on bikes, skateboards and kids
- DON’T STOP WHILE ON THE ROAD: need a break? No problem BUT get on the sidewalk, why interfere with the road’s flow?
- LET PEOPLE KNOW WHEN PASSING THEM and always pass on the left
- WEAR A HELMET! It’s a rule for participants under 18 but even if you are 18 and half: you’ve got only one head!
- BE MINDFUL OF CROSSINGS! Let people cross and respect the rules
- COUNT ON CICLAVIA! Volunteers in bright blue and yellow shirts will be there to assist participants.
CicLAvia is a great idea and a cool organization. If you didn’t get involved yet, do: participate, volunteer or donate! CicLAvia is green, it’s good for Los Angeles, our lungs and our future!
Need more info? Visit CicLAvia’s Website.